Question
Posted by: Nads | 2007/06/14

Miniture Dachund - Spine

My miniture dachund (my baby) was diagnose with a spine problem today, they've put her on medication for tonight to see if there might be an improvement by tomorrow. If it doesn't work the say she might have to go for a major op. She has started to get numb in her behind legs since Sunday and from last night she couldn't walk on her behind legs. I'm heart broken to hear of her cause, because I don't want anything to happen to her. Is there any other alternatives to help her than that operation as I've heard that it is not always a success (I know it is expensive but it is the last thing on my mind.). Please help me with more information and help.

No, by the time they are showing symtoms you describe, surgery is the only treatment. The sooner surgery is performed the greater the chance of a good recovery. Some alternative treatment (acupuncture) can be beneficial in the recovery period.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/06/15

Yep - this is something dachsies and other long-backed breeds are subject to and of course it's the main reason why they should never be allowed to become overweight.

I would listen to the vet, and go with his recommendation - if the dog's legs are already affected then I don't think any 'alternative' medication is going to do the trick.

Where in the country are you? If you'll let us know, we can maybe recommend specialists you could talk to.

Best of luck, anyway!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/06/15

Hello Nads
I am sorry to hear about your baby. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell u my story.
Ceilie, my mother-in-laws daxie went lame in January this year. Her vet wanted to put her down, so I bought her to PMB and took her to my vet for a second opinion. We were referred to a vet surgeon in Westville, and she had that major op on 1 February. She is fine now. The surgeon told us it is very common in daxies, and he specialises in daxie back operations. Ceilie is now my dog, as my mom-in-law did not have the time to care for her after the op. She was on a strict diet as she weighed 12 kgs before she went lame, bearing in mind she is also a miniture daxie. She also needed to be taught to walk again thru physio and lots of exercise and patience, but it was all worth it. Even the amount of money I spent on getting her going was worth it and I would do it again in a heart beat !!
She still walks with a limp, but she walks. And when she sees my cat she runs like never before.
A lot of people said I was mad to do it because the operation is 50/50, but the second I met the surgeon I trusted him wholeheartedly. Ceilie was in hospital for 2 weeks in total, and her recovery was longer than other dogs because of her huge weight.
Ceilie was TOTALLY lame from her ribs down, and had no control over her bladder or stomach.
It is a heartbreaking thing to see so I fully understand your pain.
I would just say that you should trust your vet (if you have a good relationship with him/her) but please don't leave it for too long. The surgeon that operated on Ceilie said that the longer the wait before the operation, the longer the recovery time, as there is more damage to nerves every day.
If you need to "chat" about it please email me natasha dot v at webmail dot co dot za
My prayers are with you and your baby for a full and speedy recovery!!

Reply to Natasha