Question
Posted by: Eldene | 2005/11/24

MINI TRAMPOLINE

I am 56 years onld and exercise for 30 min 3 - 5 x pw on the mini trampoline (rebounder) (1800 jumps). Is this supposed to make me fit? Why do I still run out of breath and get tired legs when I climb even only 10 steps?

Hi Eldene

The use of a trampoline for fitness is a topic that came up recently in another question as well, and I'll stick by my answer to that one, which is that I am not convinced that trampolining alone will offer a very effective form of cardio training to become fit. I believe that the intensity that you get from trampolining is very difficult to raise to the sorts of levels you could easily to in running, cycling etc. and for that reason, I don't believe it is as effective a weight loss or fitness tool as these activities. That's why walking up the stairs is still a little different. That, and the fact that it's a completely different type of activity, so it's not actually all that unusual to still feel tired, even when fit. Even runners will feel stairs more than they would expect to. Having said that, I do believe that trampolining could be part of a well balanced exercise routine, because it offers basically no impact and certain exercises that are good for balance, flexibility and to a lesser extent fitness. HOwever, I do think that you should consider making trampolining PART of, rather than the the focus of training.

If you do decide this, then I would suggest that you check out the fitness page of the site, then click on programmes and then choose any of these as you see fit.