Question
Posted by: Nads | 2004/10/28

Minerva - antibiotics

I have just gone off Depo Provera injection and gone onto Minerva oral contraceptive pill on instructions from my dermotologist, as I have acne problems. She has also continued me on Minotabs (antiobiotics), which I have been on for a few months. She told me that it is actually a myth that antibiotics make the pill not work and you unsafe from unwanted pregnancy - she was adament about it that I would be safe etc. But the insert in the Minerva packaging says that it does and I always thought it did. Am i safe on the pill using antibiotics?

I agree with the package insert. Antibiotics can interfere with the efficacy of the Pill. If you are on longterm antibiotics, this risk is less.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/28

Antibiotics, diarhea and or vomiting (within a few hours of taking a pill), missing a pill, slimming tablets can all affect how well the pill works.

I was once given a single dose antibiotic which my doctor said she was giving me specifically because it doesn't interfere with the pill like other antibiotics.

Reply to Purple