Question
Posted by: Andy | 2004/10/14

Mind in ruling my body

I have difficulty sleeping and staying healthy when I have alot on my mind or a function coming up. Typically I wake around midnight, and try to fall asleep again, but my mind is thinking about all the issues that will make up tomorrow. Tasks that need to be done, dinner functions ect. I end up a few hours later feeling nausiase and have to go to the toilet two or three times in the morning. Normally I am unable to sleep again that night. Am I just being to anxtious? Could I take something to help me relax and not worry so much about what is going to happen tomorrow? Thanks

Hi andy,
Well, stress and anxiety typically disturbs our sleep, especially in the early phases of sleep. And anxiety / stress can also affect one's bowels and bladder, usually in the direction of increased frequency. Check out the Archive of this Forum, as we've discussed sleep problems frequently before, and the preferable non-chemical ways of dealing wit it. When you wake in the early hours, fully of worries, don't just lie in bed worrying and turning. Get up, go to the lounge, and make yourself a warm milky drink ( Milo, Ovaltine, whatever has no caffeine and lots of milk ) and read a useful but dull book, or watch something dull on TV ( the broadcasters usually supply plenty of that --- try The Block, the most boring show in the history of TV ! )
Distract yourself from your worries, specifically postponing them or the morning when you will be able to deal with them properly. Then, when you start to feel drowsy, that's the time to go back to bed and return to sleep.