Question
Posted by: Nick | 2006/07/25

Min Pin

Hi Cybervet

My Min Pin is just over 5 months now. Every morning and evening I give him a little bit of milk as he just loves it and sits next to his bowl waiting for it. During the rest of the day he only gets water to drink. Is it unhealthy to give him milk?

No. Most dogs that have been fed milk since young will be fine. If a dog has not been fed milk for sometime and then fed again it can cause his tummy to be upset because they sometimes loose the ability to digest the milk and it "goes through" the system and inevitably causes diarrhoea. A little now-and-then should be fine.

6
Posted by: nols | 2006/07/28

my pin pincher is now 1 year old and only eats food if i mix it with milk...he just loves the stuff and wont eat without milk but drinks water during the day.

Reply to nols
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/26

If he was lactose intolerant, he wouldn't be able to handle milk either.

Puppies that have been weaned don't need yoghurt either, if they're getting a suitable puppy food. I'd only give that if there was a specific medical reason to do so.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chinta | 2006/07/26

Chill - That's strange, since even vet's recommend it. Especially small puppies that have been weened. The probiotics in the yogurt help "fill up" the immune system after the mpther's milk wears off.

Maybe he's lactose intolerant.

Reply to Chinta
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/26

Some dogs tolerate milk, some don't, you have to play it by ear. They don't NEED it, but it won't harm them as long as their systems can cope with it.

Chinta, the same applies to yoghurt, I'm sorry to tell you. Some dogs take to it fine - I have one that drinks milk but gets sick from yoghurt - vomits his poor little heart out. It's definitely not healthy or good for him!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chinta | 2006/07/25

Eventhough it's not unhealthy as such (from what I've heard) I still would'nt give milk to dogs. I have chihuahuas and they don't get any milk at all. I'm too concerned about all the stomach-upsets worries in connection with milk.

If you want a GREAT substitute that's very healthy and good to give to your pup give him/her plain yogurt. They just love it and it's very healthy and good for them too!

Reply to Chinta
Posted by: WR | 2006/07/25

Hi there!

Nope, not unhealthy! Dogs can't REAALY breakdown lactose, but if he doesn't have a runny tummy, and looks healthy without rashes or allergic reactions, you are welcome to give it to him. Puppies (still suckling) can digest lactose, but only the appropriate amount (ie the bitch'e milk), and apparantly dogs loose the ability when they grow up.
Basically I feel it's fine to do it, but to stop immediately once digestive problems etc start to appear. It doesn't mean it IS the milk that is causing the stomach upsets though!

Hope this helps!

Reply to WR