Question
Posted by: AGE | 2002/12/17

Milk/Sodium

Is 64mg of sodium per 100ml in a yoghurt considered ok or should I look for something with less? I compared this yoghurt to one I use to buy which only had 6.1mg of sodium per 100ml in it. Is there such a thing as fat free goats milk around and does it contain more or less calcium then dairy? I get way to much protein in but not enough calcium. Is there something you can recommend I had to my diet that will give me a good dose of calcium WITHOUT the protein?

Dear Age
I compared this value with those listed in the SA Food Tables and 64 mg sodium per 100 ml of yoghurt appears to be moderate to low. I can't vouch for the availability of a product such as fat-free goat's milk, it all depends on who is supplying the milk. Ask at your local health shop if they know of a supplier in your area and then phone the supplier and ask him if he is prepared to provide you with this product. Unfortunately the best sources of calcium (milk and dairy products) all contain some protein. If you are not allowed protein for some reason, then try using Calcium Sandoz as a supplement.