Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2008/01/08

Milk supply and production??

I'm 33 weeks pregnant now and would like to find out when does my body starting to produce milk for the baby. I know the first milk is called colostrum. I want to breastfeed for as long as possible until I start to work again and from there on I will use a pump and breastfeed in the evening and weekends if things will work out that way. I already know a lot about breastfeeding and the pro's and con's and so on. What I need to know is how will I now if I will have enough milk for so long. My friend and my sister both only had milk for about two weeks before it dried up. My friend had her second baby now and she used medication so that it would not happen again. How will I know if I would need medication to help with milk production? I really don't want my baby to be on formula. When will I have the first signs of milk and when should I be concerned??

Some women start producing milk before delivery, others only start after delivery. Once you have started producing milk, the supply will continue as long as the baby suckles. If you need something to increase production, this can be started if there is a problem.