Question
Posted by: Sarina | 2003/12/18

Milk is bad?

Where does the theory that "milk takes calcium out your bones and is not absorbed by the body" come from? Was it tested and proved? If I don't take enough magnesium along with any calcium, that is where the problem is. Is this also true?

Dear Sarina
Research has shown that eating a high protein diet can increase calcium excretion via the kidneys and result in loss of calcium from the bones. Because milk also contains protein, this may be why some people urge you not to consume milk or dairy products. I would, however, rather use milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses to obtain calcium and cut down on red meat, so that I do not ingest too much protein. Magnesium also helps with calcium absorption, as does vit D. If you take a calcium supplement then it is a good idea to take one that also contains some magnesium and vit D (don't overdo the vit D as we make a lot in our bodies when our skins are exposed to sunlight) - like Centrum.