Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2005/11/23

Milk drying out

Im breastfeeding and i went on a weekend away wth hubby wthout our 4month daughter. Forgot to take pump with me and didnt breastfeed for two days. My breasts were full,sore and hard for the two dayz. On saturday i took morning after pill and pharmacist said i shouldnt breast feed on sunday when i get home, must start on monday because of the pill. Well i started breastfeeding on monday but it seems like my milk has dried out. Normaly during d day at work and at night i will wear breast pads bc my milk leaks, now there is nothing. I dont even have to wear pads. How do i get my milk back. I really love breastfeeding her.

The morning after pill probably contributed to this. You could take Brewer's yeast and carry on breastfeeding. The stimulation will encourage milk production.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2005/11/23

Try putting her to your breast as often as possible as the stimulation might help to get things going again.

See a lactation consultant for some help with this. You will find a lactation consultant for your area listed at the back of pregnancy and baby magazines.

It is possible to start breastfeeding again after you have stopped, and a lactation consultant will be able to help you with this.

You could also ask a doctor for a prescription for Eglynol. This medicine has the side effect of your body producing milk, however, it takes 14-21 days to start working.

Reply to Purple