Question
Posted by: Russell | 2004/01/08

Mild knee pain

I have a mildly sore knee which I get after running. The best way I can describe it is that it is on the lower part of my right knee, just under the kneecap on the left side.It feels as if I have a slight bruise.there. The pain is not at all bad, but I am training to (hopefully) do the 2 oceans this year and wonder if this is something to be concerned about. I do ice it after I run.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Russell.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Russell
It sounds as though your general biomechanics are slightly off. This can be caused by the shoes you are using, or by a muscle imbalance.
Try rubbing the edge of your ribs on the right side before you go running - there is a reflex that controls the quads and this may help.
If not it may be an idea to see someone so you can have a comfortable 2 Oceans.
Douglas