Posted by: Red | 2008/06/26

Migraine Aura

Hi Doctor
I have suffered for many years with Migraines. I have been for various tests and medications, with little success. I live outside of South Africa, hence cannot visit the Headache Clinic.

On average, I get about 3 bad migraines a month. Recently however i've been experiencing the aura a lot more often. My aura usually lasts about 20 mins. Lately however within a minute of one aura ending, the next one starts. I end up for about 3 hours being unable to see because of the continuous aura's. Is this normal?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Red,

Your repeated auras are indeed unusual, but apart from the inconvenience, you should not be concerned.

When the underlying causes of the migraines are successfully treated, the auras also disappear, so it is most unfortunate that you are not in South Africa. We have people from all over the world coming for treatment though, so this should not preclude you from being treated at The Headache Clinic, unless there are financial or other constraints with regard to travel.