Posted by: kek | 2008/10/15

I have Focal migraine with aura (visual disturbance, pins and needles and nimbness in hand, mouth and tongue aswell as scrabbled words). They used to be yearly but now it seems that they are coming almost monthly. My dr therefore gave me a brain scan and that showed up a white area. She has now but me on sanamigrom and aspirin and an appointment with a neurologist. But while i wait im worried about this white area and what it means. Maybe a potential stroke or bleed maybe. Can you shed any light on this and have you heard of this before.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Keren,

Please don’t worry about the white area – many people have them, but they are more common in migraineurs. There is absolutely no relationship with a stroke or a bleed. In fact it is not necessary to do a brain scan with migraine unless the doctor has a particular reason for requesting it.

Drugs are also not the answer. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

Posted by: kek | 2008/10/16

thankyou so much for your reply i appreciate it alot. Since writing this letter to you my Dr has since said that the white are is old scar tissue and als with it is bad circulation there hence the Aspirin. Have you anything to add to this new information.

Reply to kek