Question
Posted by: Johan | 2008/01/08

migrain/diet

Please help, I suffer from maigrains and need to loose weight. What diet is the best to follow. Pls. can you help me with the best diet plan. Thanks

Dear Johan
I trust that you have consulted a medical dr or even a specialist (Neurologist) about your migraines and that the dr has a) determined what factors are causing your migraines and if foods/drinks play a role or not, b) prescribed the necessary medication to treat the migraines. If your migraines are triggered by certain foods or beverages (e.g. mature cheeses, biltong, red wine, caffeine), then you will need to avoid them when you are on a slimming diet. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Check with the dr who is treating your migraines if you are allowed to do exercise.

1
Posted by: des | 2008/03/26

i have cut out all the necessary foods and don't eat or drink anything that is suppose to trigger a migraine or even headache, still is have suffered recently from a 10 day long migrain. i'm out of ideas, except for going to a specialist and doing cat scans an stuff, but those are expensive. any other ideas?

Reply to des