Question
Posted by: me | 2005/12/03

Migrain injection

I am an 18 year old girl and I get migrais, usually from stress or when I have my cycle. Mine always start with a spot with a mixture of colours and then progress to very much pain and nausia. Me getting this headaces mad me mis school, social and sport activities. Now my real question is, I have heard that u get and injection that u inject yourself with when u start seeing the spot, then u go lay down for an hour and after that the pain is gone. Does this realy exist, how much does it cost and where can I get it!!! If I must choose between the pain in my head and a injection.... I choose 50 injections!!!!

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Me,

There is such an injection – it is called Imigran. I am not sure of the exact cost, but it is somewhere around R175 for each injection. It works very well for some people, but is ineffective in others – and one can’t tell beforehand. Also it may work for some attacks, but not for others, and it doesn’t really solve the problem. What you really need is to find out why you are getting the migraines, and treat the cause - not to try and stop the pain once it starts. Prevention is better than cure. This is possible in most migraine sufferers, if the correct course of action is followed.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.