Posted by: Doll | 2005/07/08


Hi ladies

I don't know but I think I'm totally blank when coming to some of the things. Can you explain to me how midwifery works, how do they charge compared to gynaes and where can one get one. Anyway, before suggesting to get one, are they as good as gynaes or a lot better? I do have a gynae but I feel I feel it's a lot expensive for me now.

Please explain to me, especially how they operate!!!

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

Midwives are nurses trained in normal births. Gynaecologists handle problems. If you see a midwife, you should always have a gynaecologist to back her up in case of problems.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Zuu | 2006/05/17

HI there

I just want to know what warts are and what cause you to have them.?

Reply to Zuu
Posted by: karin | 2005/07/08

thanx for info, have written it down. if the need arises i will give it a go.. keep me updated on how you find the experiance. xxx

Reply to karin
Posted by: Moi | 2005/07/08

i would have loved to have a midwife with this baby, but unfortunately, there is only one registered midwife in my area, all the others are in joburg. It would mean driving through every month, and then from 32 weeks, every 2 weeks! so i found a gynae which i think is fantastic, and i'm very comfortable with. still have to go meet all the staff at the maternity ward and noe natal unit at the hospital, then see how it goes from there!

Reply to Moi
Posted by: Tina | 2005/07/08

Hi Karin

I can refer you to someone called Kim Graham at Merlot Clinic in Parklands, Cape Town. She's very sweet - my goes to her for his injections.

Reply to Tina
Posted by: SS | 2005/07/08

Hi Karin

i am not sure but there are usually names on the lists in the preggy mags, they have lists of midwives, docs, doulas, etc
hope it helps

Reply to SS
Posted by: karin | 2005/07/08

if i am lucky enough to be pregnant, that is the route i am going. i will see my gynae, but want a private midwife with me. does anyone know one in northan sub in capetown..

Reply to karin
Posted by: SS | 2005/07/08

Hi Doll
i also changed cos i could not afford my gynea,
i am going to the midwives at Linkwood, they are called Growthspurt, i am not sure if they only work with you if you are birthing at linkwood or anywhere else, but they are wonderful, i was not sure what to expect on my first visit and was so nervous but they were so helpful, they take your temp and check the baby's heartbeat to see if it is ok and they do a urine test as well, they dont do sonars though, i will have to go to a gynea at linkwood otherwise the gynea will not be on call when i give birth,
they are cheaper than a gynea, their consulations are 160.00 for first and last and 100.00 for those inbetween,
it is about 1/2 hour long, when it comes to the birth, they will deliver if that is what you want, a gynea is on call, and they stay with you for the whole labour and birth process, no matter how long, then they come home for three days after the birth to help you with any problems you might have and to give the baby it's injections and check if all is ok with the baby,
hope i have helped,
you dont have to go to linkwood, there are lots of midwives around, if you check in the your preg mag, there usually is a list of all midwives, specialists etc, in certain areas
good luck

Reply to SS

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.