Question
Posted by: LES | 2004/02/19

Midwife or Doctor?

Can anyone tell me what difference there is in having a midwife or a doctor(gynae)? What are the cost implications? What are the benefits, disadvantages? Where can I find a midwife in the Pretoria area?

If you have a normal low risk pregnancy with no complications, then a midwife would be able to look after your pregnancy. Any complications or medical illnesses should be handled by a gynaecologist. Even if all goes normally, complications can still sometimes occur during labour. Midwives are only able to manage normal deliveries. If you needed any intervention e.g. a caesarean, a gynaecologist would have to do it. The costs are much less with a midwife. The advantage is the cost saving. The disadvantage is that complications could occur that the midwife would not be able to handle and you would then need an emergency transfer to a gynaecologist.