Question
Posted by: jo | 2007/03/10

midnight eating syndrome

hi there
l have been anorexic for 7 years and have finally come right. Now l cant stop eating. I am very controlled during the day but the moment everyone goes to bed, out comes the bread and butter and cheese and chocolate and l will eat anything bad for me. It's like l'm in a trance and l have no control. Then l feel sick the next day and l cant stomach breakfast but the same thing happens every night, without fail. I think it may be because l'm lonely, but are there any tips for avoiding this. I dont want to tell my anyone l know about this.Help!

Dear Jo
The problem is that this abnormal 'night' eating' is actually another manifestation of an Eating Disorder. Did you receive assistance to get over your anorexia from a team consisting of a clinical dietitian and a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist? If not, then you still have unresolved issue that need to be sorted out. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Go for expert help ASAP.