Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2006/04/03

Midlife crisis?

I am turning 30 this month and will be married 12 years this December. I have two children aged 5 and 9. I sometimes feel like running away to be alone and then feel guilty because I felt like that. My husband is a very kind and dependable man and has always looked well after us. Why do I still feel like running away. I do love my family and do not know what I will do without them. I am no expert, but if this is like a midlife crisis, I would sure like to get some advise on how to handle it without loosing my mind.

Maybe this is indeed a variety of mid-life crisis. I don't think the mid-life part is crucial, as this sort of doubt tends to arise whenever in life one has some opportunity to pause and draw breath, and to think about where one is heading. Counselling can be very fruitful here

2
Posted by: """ | 2006/04/03

oops should read unresolved anger....

Reply to """
Posted by: A Mom, A Wife, A Mother | 2006/04/03

Dear Jenny,
Do you truly feel fulfilled in the life you are living, maybe at some subliminal level you are frustrated, wanting more out of life, from your marriage, etc. perhaps you have some unresolved ange. Most women go through this around 50...thereabouts, its the perimenopause, menopause. Its a hormonal thing. If you have any unresolved issues in life that you haven't dealt with, they will resurface until they are dealt with. This goes for physical, spiritual and emotional levels....it can be somethings you are conscious of or not aware of. Perhaps a few sessions with a counsellor/psychologist will benefit you here. I can totally relate to how you are feeling as it hit me around mid to late 40's....I was going through a tremendously stressful time and very little support from my husband. What I did was take a trip abroad on my own.....my very first trip abroad without him, we used to travel extensively together. I thoroughly enjoyed myself that solved my "wanting to run away"......every now and then I get the feeling I should plan another trip again on my own. :)) You have fairly young children so they are rather dependant on you still your life must be very busy.

Reply to A Mom, A Wife, A Mother