Question
Posted by: J | 2006/07/21

middle aged with acne!

Im a woman of 41 and seems to have more acne now than in my teens. It will apear sporadically and seems to be deep under the skin. And appears on exactly the same areas every time. I'm sure it goes hand in hand with the hormonal changes in my body. I live a healthy lifestyle and eat a balanced diet drinking lots of water. I would like to know what causes the acne? What physically happens and why the same spots? I only treat it with tea tree oil and it can last weeks before dissapearing only to re-appear a couple of months later....

Expert ImageArchive

Acne at the age of 41 is not too uncommon. Women are more likely to be affected than men. If there is hair loss on the scalp, voice changes, growth of hair in unusual areas etc. the hormonal status must be determined=blood test. Acne at this age often requires hormonal treatment such as with Diane35, Androcur or spironolactone. See you doctor.