Posted by: XX | 2008/07/18

Hi, I' m 26 and I' m considering to go for microdermabrasion. My skin is terrible (blackheads, whiteheads, " blind"  pimples, enlarged pores, couple slightly bigger than pores scars that look like body piercings, sun damage marks under my eyes, broken vessels). Would my skin be suitable for this procedure to improve my skin? Are there any bad side effects? Should I rather consider something involving laser therapy?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi “XX”, thank you for the question.

Your best option would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic practitioner so that they can examine the skin (acne) and your concerns and advise you on the appropriate treatment regime.

Microdermabrasion is used to remove sun-damaged skin, fine lines and wrinkles, and to remove or lessen some scars and dark spots on the skin. The procedure is not very painful and requires no anesthetic. Microdermabrasion can be used medically for scar removal when the scar is raised above the surrounding skin, but is less effective with sunken scars. There is very little, if any, evidence that microdermabrasion stimulates collagen formation. Microdermabrasion should not be used on patients who have taken the medication Roaccutane (Isotretinion) in the previous twelve months.
The following definition for microdermabrasion has been sourced from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons web page: “Microdermabrasion is a skin-freshening technique that helps repair facial skin that takes a beating from the sun and the effects of aging. The plastic surgeon uses a device like a fine sandblaster to spray tiny crystals across the face, mixing gentle abrasion with suction to remove the dead, outer layer of skin. As with other skin rejuvenation techniques, more than one treatment may be needed to reduce or remove fine wrinkles and unwanted pigmentation.”

In the past, microdermabrasion was carried out using abrasive crystals. However, in the last decade, it has become more common to use a wand with a roughened surface (usually diamond tip) as there are some health concerns with the inhalation of the fine crystals.

Glycolic acid peels have shown to benefit and help treat all of your concerns that you have mentioned and will stimulate collagen production and help reduce mild acne scarring and other mild depressed scars. This should be performed by a trained medical doctor or initially (20 to 35%) by a trained therapist (one may try a combination of the two to get optimal results).

Furthermore, it is important that you get the appropriate acne topical treatment regime (at home) and the following needs to be considered:
Oil free moisturizers, SPF, and makeup
Oil control and pore treatments
Facial wash for acne and large pore size
More information on acne treatment, grading your acne, and tips for at home car can be found on my web page at: or
To Grade your acne:
Guidelines on at home care for acne: please search The Anti-Ageing Database on my web page and paste the following: . Acne Skin Care Guide and At Home Treatment Recomendations into the search function.