Posted by: Farida | 2008/10/16

I had my first mammogram 2 months ago, at the age of 43.
The results reflect that have found micro-calcificaton which does not look suspicious, however it needs to be monitored so I have been asked to haev a repeat test after 4 months. I would like to know if I should be concerned about this ?
I am worried because my sister died with breast and liver cancer at the age of 42yrs, so I am at risk.
Also I need to know if mammograms are a sure way of findling out if you have any lumps in your breast. When you feel your breasts (self examinations after your period), all the lumps feel the same. How do you know for sure ?
Also I was told that if you are pre-disposed to have breast cancer there is nothing you can do about it, except catch it at an early stage and get the relelvant treatment.
Please advise.

Expert ImageBreast health expert

Hi Farida,

See some of the above replies. One would have to look at the specific microcalcifications. If you are concerned, you are free to request a 2nd opinion on any medical service.
Mammography is as much science as it is art. High quality mammography should discover about 90-95% of all cancers, but will not discover 100%.

One should also have more in-depth look at your family history. Was the breast cancer in your sister uni- or bilateral; has anybody else had breast or ovarian cancer or colon cancer in the family? how many family members are healthy and how old are they? are questions to be asked.

Prof. J. Apffelstaedt