Our expert says:
Yes, ingesting mycotoxins from spoilt grain (grain that has become mouldy because of incorrect storage) can have a variety of negative health effects, including the potential for developing cancer in the long-term. It has for example been suggested that the high incidence of oesophageal cancer in some parts of SA, is caused by the fact that the indigenous population eat grain that has become mouldy. The moulds then produce mycotoxins which are very harmful. Luckily most commercial grain sold in SA has to comply with very strict moisture content requirements to prevent spoilage and mould. So if you buy fresh grains at your supermarket and store them in a dry place, the risk of aflatoxin poisoning should be minimal.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.