Question
Posted by: mike | 2004/10/26

metobolic typing

Hi There
This diet basically is that there you 1of 3 types, protein, carb or mixed,depending on wich you are you meal should contain the majority of that type.
It is not a calorie count diet or a weight loss diet it is a kifestyle diet trying to get the iinside of the body working well so you can get rid of poisons that you eat well instead of storing it.
I hope this helps a little more.

Hi Mike

Thank for the feedback, this clears it up, and I have heard of it before, just by different names, so I'll try to give you my point of view, though I must stress that Diet Doc is far better to ask about diet - I'll try to help with the interaction of diet and exercise, but for the pure diet analysis, she's the one to ask. The good thing about it is that it's not calorie counting, because those are a fruitless pursuit in my opinion. The most important thing about a diet for exercise is that it has to provide sufficient energy (carbs and fats, mainly) to sustain the training and it must also have proteins in moderation to help repair muscle that may be broken down during exercise. That's why often high protein diets are not great - for one, they often tend to be a little low on energy because proteins tend to fill you up a lot more, and they don't provide the carbs and fats that are used during exercise as a source of energy. So, whatever your exercise, your diet must complement it and so you just have to be careful about not undereating. I know that the media often portrays carbs as the bad guy, and this is not the case - anything is bad in excess, everything is good in moderation.

As far as the mixing goes, my understanding is that this is just a theory that has been put forward, but I don't really know if there's any research that says it actually works. This is something that DietDoc will know more about, I am of the opinion that you actually are better off if you combine the groups. For example, we know that the insulin that the body produces when you take in carbs helps with the repair of muscle, so it actually makes sense to eat protein and carbs together, not to separate them.

So, bottom line, if the diet is just another way to eat sensibly then it's great. But if it claims radical new things and results, from all sorts of mixing and special combinations, then I'm sceptical. As I said, everything in moderation is the way to go.