Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2008/02/04

Methylated spirits for dog skin allergy?

I would like to know if there are any known contra-indications to using Methylated Spirits on my dog's itchy skin? IThis home-remedy has been recommended but I am a bit sceptical.
My dog has an inhalant allergy (I think it is the grass) and I have to seasonally resort to cortisone treatment. I have tried just about everything I can, so if the Meths will help to toughen the skin a bit, then I am willing to give it a try. I know people who swear that this stopped their dog eating his paws.
The problem with a grass allergy is that he keeps scratching his itchy belly on the grass and so makes the problem worse - it's a vicious circle. Any advice for a concerned Mom? Thanks.

Yes! This is cruel! The alcohol iin the spirit will cause severe pain on broken skin and will dry out intact skin. please do not use it.

Meths also has a very bitter taste that might explain why the dogs stopped licking their paws.

You will need to keep the dog off the grass if it is causing the allergy. Can it stay in a courtyard with a solid floor area?

5
Posted by: Sandy | 2008/02/05

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback - going to give the meths a try.

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Chill | 2008/02/04

I must say I've used Meths too, with success. But do realise it can sting on raw skin so go easy - the dog I used it on knew it was going to sting but loved it anyway, and it did 'harden' the skin. Do it gently until the dog understands - it's worth a try.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/02/04

Hi there,

Had a dog who struggled with itchy skin/rashes etc. I tried everything - spent thousands and still nothing.
Then i heard about this meths treatment and I though: "rubbish" so I ignored it - and a few Rands later I got fed-up....... 3 days of putting Meths on the affected areas and it cleared up! So much so, that the skin became soft and clear like it should! I was helluva impressed!
Anyway, that's my experience of the meths on a rash.
Still, this isn't a cure - more like a relief treatment.

Ciao!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Sandy | 2008/02/04

Thank you so much Marianne - I have already been in contact with the Jhb. rep. for the herbal doggie treatment and will give it a try - hold thumbs it works! I appreciate the advice.

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: marianne | 2008/02/04

Afternoon Sandy I would stay away from the meths. There is a lady by the name of Cheryl Henn that lives in Gonubie East London that makes a herbal remedy that works miracles on skin ailments on animals. It also stops dogs chewing their feet. It is sold for about R40.00 / 500ml bottle. Her number is 043 740 1371. Try it you won't be sorry.

Reply to marianne