Question
Posted by: marge | 2005/01/12

Metabolic Syndrome

Dr Diet Doc

I have been diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. Have to go on a low fat diet and exercise. Which is fine. What I need to know is I love having my cereal in the mornings. What can I use to replace sugar? I believe these sweetners are not good to take. Please can you help me here?
Also, I cannot afford to see a dietician as I am not on medical aid.
Where on the net can one get a diet to follow for this problem.

Many thanks for being there to help us.

Marge

Dear Marge
I apologise for only answering your question today, but I had to have an operation last Wednesday, and although I informed the boffins who administer the Message Board, they failed to block incoming messages while I was in hospital.
Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Metabolic syndrome is quite a difficult condition to treat (you need a low-fat, low-saturated fat, low-cholesterol diet and one that is high in carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index), which is one of the reasons why I always recommend that patients with MS should consult a clinical dietitian to help them sort out this complex set of dietary requirements. If you really can't afford one consultation with a clinical dietitian, then I can only suggest that you use the low-fat, high-fibre Slimming Diet on this Website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) together with your exercise. Also click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
You can use artificial sweeteners on your low-GI cereal in moderate quantities.

2
Posted by: marge | 2005/01/14

Hello Micky

Thank you. I have noted it.

Marge

Reply to marge
Posted by: mickey | 2005/01/13

A healthy sugar replacement which was recommended by my dietician is "Stevia Powder" - cost approx R38 and last forever as it is much sweeter than sugar and you only need a tiny bit.

Mickey

Reply to mickey