Question
Posted by: Blondie.. | 2007/04/11

Metabolic Rate

Hi..

Please tell me if I'm right in assuming that if my Basal Metabolic Rate is 1040 and I exercise daily burning 300 calories, would the total calories my body burns in a day equal the sum being a total of 1340?

What can I do to maintain a fast metabolism?

Hi Blondie

No, because your Basal tells you only what your energy use would be if you were at rest for 24 hours, and the 300 is the amount during exercise. But you don't only do two things (rest and exercise) during the day - there is all the other activity you tend to do, like walking around, driving, climbing stairs, cooking, reading etc, all of which add to the basal amount. So the reality is that 1340 is likely to be much less than the TOTAL, since it assumes you are at rest for most of the day.

The bigger issue is counting calories - the assumption, for example, that your basal rate is 1040 is not guaranteed to be accurate - in fact, it may be very incorrect. If you were off by 300 Calories, then your daily total is a whole exercise session off the real value! And that's a big difference.

So my advice is just to continue exercise, maybe increase this duration a little and also look at possibly doing some weight or resistance training exercise, since these increase lean muscle mass and that increases metabolic rate.

But try not to worry about it too much, just train and eat really well and the system (your body) will find a way to become optimal.