Question
Posted by: Kim | 2008/02/04

Metablism and diets

Would like an explanation from a docter that says that starving yourself actually does not help weight loss, because it slows down metablism and causes a person to gain weight. I needthis info for my boss as he does not believe me on this matter.

Dear Kim
If a person goes on a total starvation diet (drinking only water) then that person will lose lots of weight, but eventually die from lack of food. People who are very obese also sometimes benefit from a very-low-energy-diet (less than 1000 cal or 4200 kJ per day), but most slimmers do better on a diet that does not induce the body to switch off its weight loss systems in the face of perceived starvation (i.e. 1500 cal or 6300 kJ per day). If the human body perceives that it is being starved then it will slow down its metabolism to conserve energy and weight loss will slow down. Ingesting a certain amount of energy (1500 cal or 6300 kJ per day) will assist the body to fuel its activity which in turn will lead to more weight loss.