Question
Posted by: cantthinofaname | 2006/10/24

me/suicidal

Ok,
Yes, its me again, and yes I’ve been procrastination – still haven’t come forth regarding my suicidal intents; why? Because honestly, I have no idea as to how to come forth with them, I’ve kept them hidden for 9 years (8 since my first attempt).

Before I come forth with them, I would like to know some stuff: I am aware that in some countries doctors (whether that be GP/psychologist etc.) are required by law to report these suicidal intents and potentially have you hospitalised – I do not wish this to happen. Is this the case in South Africa?

Then there’s the “where do I start” and “how do I tell them – anyone”, that’s the nice thing about the internet, its anonymous.

As you might of have guessed by this stage, I yet again, have intense suicidal urges. The will and thought of suicide presses upon me all day, everyday. Whether that be when I’m alone, with people, sleeping, laughing – the urge is there. I close my eyes and I see images of myself, suffocating myself, half my dreams involve suicide..

Yes, I know that I should seek some sort of help – but what are the implications of this? For both me and my family.

No, I know of no country in which a doc / shrink / whoever is obliged by law to report anyone who is suicidal --- suicide may be a very bad idea, but it's not against the law. In some countries, and clearly in america, a shrink may be expected to take some action if you report specific plans to kill someone else, but that makes more sense, surely.
So here in SA, there is nobody to whom a shrink or doc could report anyone who happened to be suicidal. Their duty is to consider carefully what would be the best for you and your health. Under some circumstances, they might recommend hospitalization, and discuss this option with you --- and so they should.
Seeking help is just that --- and when you see the shrink / counsellor, you discuss what and how you feel, and what are the best options for improving the situation. What you are describing is a most unpleasant situation, and surely one you would not want to have continue unduly.

1
Posted by: just me | 2006/10/24

No, the doctors in SA don't have you admitted for suicidal thoughts and feelings, My shrink actually asked me if I had them, and like you, I said, I would only tell him if he doesn't lock me up. He laughed and Now 6 months later and on the right meds, I don't think of it at all any more. My biggest thought now is how to get my 3 year diploma faster!

Good luck, Find the right shrink and have a wonderful life!

Reply to just me