Question
Posted by: BL | 2004/01/21

Message for carol

Both my dogs are registered, and you dont need to tell me how to breed my dogs. I have taken them to vets and they do not forsee any problems...So who are you to tell me what to do...
Thanks for your input though!

Hi BL
I don't know who Carol is but by your questions you didn't seem to know much about breeding, so accept my apologies as I assumed the same things she did, and please re-ask your questions for the vet.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

4
Posted by: Carol | 2004/01/25

Im Carol (lol) ...yep I know im right .. Im involved with boxers and our local SPCA I have two lovely boxers BOTH fixed .. breeding is best left to the experts. And IMO the ONLy reason to breed is to better the breed.

I have seen far to many "dumped" dogs and puppies

Reply to Carol
Posted by: chill | 2004/01/22

whoooooshhhhhh..... over the top.

I really didn't think you were going to take your puppies to the SPCA. But I'm pretty sure the breeders of all the dogs there didn't do that either. You are missing my point entirely. Go and talk to them and see what they say.

Reply to chill
Posted by: BL | 2004/01/22

I understand where you are coming from. I have already got four family members that want pups for there kiddies. Even if i werent able to give the pups away i would never ever take them to the SPCA. I am definately not been irresponsible as i have spent a fortune in going to vets for advice.

Reply to BL
Posted by: chill | 2004/01/22

You may not like it, but Carol is right.
Dogs have been breeding all by themselves for countless centuries. They don't need you to help them. That doesn't mean you should be irresponsible about it - surely you want the best for your dogs and for the puppies?
It is not a good idea to breed from a dog as young as yours, no matter what your vet says.
You should also have them checked out for soundness - specifically for hip dysplasia, and the best time to do this is also when the dog is no less than one year old.
Sounds like all you want is a bunch of cute puppies to play with. Go look in the cages at the SPCA before you decide... ALL of those dogs were terribly cute puppies too, once upon a time.... and while you are there, ask them how many of the dogs they think are likely to walk out alive. THEN decide.

Reply to chill