Question
Posted by: El-Jo | 2004/10/26

Mentally unstable

Dear Cybershrink
My husband’s weird and erratic behaviour is driving me crazy. The worse his condition becomes, the worse my own mental state has become, and I find this really worrisome. Is it possible that his behaviour can have such a profound effect on me?

El-JO, anyone's difficult behaviour can badly effect us, but most especially so in a situation like yours, where you have someone you love and are caring for, who is being irrationally bpeculiar due to his illness, so you can be infuriated and hurt, but feel unable to fully blame him because it is indeed usually the disease and its effects talking. This is one reason why hospice and CNSA assistance includes provision for "respite care", where someone else takes over your caring duties for a couple of days so you can have a rest and just care for yourself, before resuming your task.
You and he are NOT beyond help, but you seem hesitant to strongly seek out and call for the help you need and deserve. The duration of an illness like his is very hard to guess. Again, a hospice nurse may, from her experience, be able to make a better estimate.

4
Posted by: CP MOM | 2004/10/26

Ag ou El-Jo ek lees altyd jou postings en wens altyd ek het 'n antwoord vir jou maar mens wat jy deurgaan met jou man en jou eie bipolar is van so aard dat ek nie eens kan begin dink om raad te gee of te help nie - wens ek kon.....

Al wat ek wel kan sê is sterkte mens en jy weet waar om my te kry !

*hug*

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: El-Jo | 2004/10/26

It is all over for us. How much longer? I don’t know. We are beyond help.

Reply to El-Jo
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/26

I think it's a given that his behaviour can have such an impact on you. The fact that you worry about weekends etc says a lot about how his condition has an affect on you.
That's why CS has recommended many times that you seek some outside help. You need assistance to get through this kind of thing. There are not many people who can do this without help as you have been doing.
You're always in my thoughts, El-Jo.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/26

Definitely can... why doesn't hubby seek help?

Reply to Inc