Posted by: david7777 | 2008/06/04

Mental Illness Government Grant

Hi there,

I am actually looking for information on what options a low income family have, or what they can do, for their mentally ill son… I have no idea where to even begin and was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction – I live in KZN and so does the family that I am trying to help.

The son has not been diagnosed with anything, so I assume that the first step is for him to be taken to a doctor – Maybe a psychologist?

He was not born this way – He was studying physics and medicine and had some sort of breakdown in 1995. The family does not understand that it is a medical condition and have never taken him for treatments of any sort. They are however willing to give it a try, and he gets very emotional at the thought of “getting better”. As mentioned earlier, they have very little income and if there is any way of getting any sort of grant from the government for this situation, I would like to help them get that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

HimDavid, good to hear from you.
CP Mom's experience of the grant application process should be valuable. But I am certain that the first step HAS to be for him to see a psychologist or psychiatrist for assessment and diagnosis. And, if a grant is to be applied for, some part of the assessment would address his present and future needs, the nature, extent and permanent ( or otherwise ) nature of the disability. A state hospital or major clinic OUGHT to provide access to a shrink for suh an evaluation, and the Dept of Psychiatry at the University / medical school in Durban should also be able to help. If he was able to study heavy-duty subjects like physics or medicine, he must be intelligent and to have been able to concentrate and work hard then. Its a tragedy that he wasn't properly assessed and diagnosed at the time, when he was at university --- the university authorities ought to have done more for him then.
Various forms of mental illness can occur in bright young people at that age, and they usually respond well to proper treatment, so the future could be potentially hopeful, and they shouldn't automatically assume that he will be disabled for life and unable to pursue further studies, etc. But the heart of finding any solution ( and it sounds like anything would be an improvement on the current situation ) would be an appropriate expert assessment and diagnosis.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: david7777 | 2008/06/06

Thank you both for your help - I have sent you a mail CP Mom...

Reply to david7777
Posted by: CP MOM | 2008/06/05

please email me on gysmo at and I will assist you as I applied in KZN originally and I am currently getting this grant. There are things tho that I don't want to say publicly so please contact me.

Love Mom

Reply to CP MOM

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.