Question
Posted by: Why bother??? | 2007/06/26

Mental illness for life

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II and am feeling very depressed despite being on medication. I fear that I will never be in a completely happy relationship because who would want to be with someone who has to use medication to stabilize her moods? Also, who would willingly want to be with someone who could snap and have a relapse at any stage???

I don't want to be lonely forever but I cannot expect that anyone would want to be with me having a condition like this.

I understand your initial reaction, WB, but the world is full of people who have chronic disorders and need to take chronic medication to control these --- AND who are in happy and fulfilling relationships. Much more painful relationships stem from people with unpleasant personalities who have no treatable condition at all.
AB's comments are excellent. Call the Anxiety/Depression support group and join a support group near you, to explore and discover how well others can cope with the same condition. And take charge of your illness, with the help of your shrink, your medication, and perhaps seek some sessions with a CBT counsellor to learn more ways of controlling and being in charge of the disorder rather than the other way round.

1
Posted by: AB | 2007/06/26

You need to take control of your illness and not let it control you. Otherwise you will be unhappy!
Medication will help stabilise you, and if you taking the right medication you shouldnt have moody outbursts. There are hundreds like you out there, and I am sure most of them are in happy relationships.
If you become happy and content with yourself and your illness, someone you meet will be more likely to think the same! Why not join a support group to talk to people who are in the same boat?

Reply to AB