Posted by: Susan | 2008/08/12

Menstruation: Difficulties &  solutions

Friends and family members together with several health issues and the right of a human beings to be treated with dignity made me think of better ways to manage women' s health in general, but specifically around menstruation.

I designed(invented) a range of products which can be applied to quite a number of menstruation problems such as formation of large blood clots, infections etc. etc.

The product for menstruation, for example, is also a product of convenience and functional in regards to health risks. My question is: Where can I find a company willing to develop and market these concepts (sketches available). If you think my enquiry relates to making money only, I respectfully request that you look at some of the functions of one of the designs.
* No contact with blood (travel, sport, work, play, care for family who cannot look after themselves.
* Blood or infections are contained (no risk for cross infections)
* No water or toilet facilities are needed to replace your product
* Much fewer waste is created
* Fear of leaks and/or stains are removed
* The potential to create a reusable product is there. Why should we pay so much for a natural occurence of menstruation ?
* For private use or in hospital or clinic setup, I could not believe how much is spent on plastic sheets and all other sorts of material to limite contact, or spillage, or cleaning, disinfecting etc. etc. etc.
* No odours
* One may use toilet facilities (bladder relief and pass stool), without having to remove or replace the product
* It is small and un-obvious ...... etc. etc.
There are so many benefits which I won' t list here, but, I have contacted large companies such as Kimberly-Clark and Procter &  Gamble, but they say they function according to strict policies which means that I first have to provisionally patent my inventions. If I had those kinds of cash to throw around I surely would invest myself, but, for now I am an ordinary salaried worker.
I am wondering if there is some kind of a resistance towards developing new products because of perceived competition, maybe not an understanding about what happens to a women' s body or not caring? ? One thing is for sure ..... I will find someone somewhere willing to invest and change women' s lives positively accross the globe.
Will you please let me have your thoughts on this. What approach should I take ? What obstacles do you foresee ?
Thank you for your time !!

For non-drug products, including medical instruments, most people go the route of patenting it themselves. This does cost a few thousand rand. The other option requires a lot of PT, but would involve going round hospitals and clinics yourself to demonstarte your product and see if people are interested in buying it.

Posted by: maoo | 2009/03/31

hi, i just want to know if i may be pregnant if not menstruating for 2 months but no signs of pregnancy. what should i do?

Reply to maoo
Posted by: mak | 2009/01/23

ever since i started menstruating have always been having difficults,i do my periods maybe after a 6 mths or a year,now iam married but cant have babies, have tried seeing doctors they told me all is fine please am in desparate deep help and my husband keeps on blaming me.

Reply to mak