Question
Posted by: mercury | 2006/10/31

Menstruation different

Hi Doc...i came off birth control in May 2005...before taking birth control pills and while taking them my cycle was always regular and always lasted 5 days. Since coming off b/c I have what I think is PCOS...i have been able to get my menstruation without Provera for the past 4 months (have taken Clomid for 3 of those months). This month I have decided to not take Clomid...my question is that my menstruation is now only 3 days long and much, much less flow these past 4 months than in the past...is this normal? Is there anyway it is affecting my ovulation and chances of getting pregnant? Please help!!!! Thanks

Dear Mercury

The fact that there is a distinct difference in volume of blood flow implies an alteration in either hormone production or endometrial response. ( the endometium is the inner lining of the uterus which is shed during menstruation. ) It would be relevant to do a full hormone profile as well (including thyroid and prolactin) as well as an endometrial biopsy at an appropriate stage of the cycle, ie 2-3 days before expected bleeding. With these tests it would be important to establish the underlying cause and the appropriate treatment can be instituted accordingly.