Question
Posted by: zet | 2006/04/19

Menstruation after pregnancy

My baby's 8 weeks old I havent started my period yet, I am breastfeeding when should I expect to start?... I do have period like pains every now and then, then I think this is it but it wont start?.. I did go to my gyne for a check up he said everything is fine but I forgot to ask him when I'm suppose to start another thing will my milk supply go down when my period starts... please advise

Your periods may not start till you stop breastfeeding. It is more the other way round - when you decrease breastfeeding, your periods will return, rather than the periods affecting milk production.

1
Posted by: sue | 2006/04/20

Hi Zet

Generally whilst you are breast feeding you wont get your period - the hormones released whilst breastfeeding stop menstruation. It does not mean though that you cannot fall pregnant!! You are very fertile after giving birth, and if you have resumed having sex, then you should ask your doc to prescribe the mini pill to protect against pregnancy. Whilst breastfeeding you cannot take the normal pill as it is transmitted through the breast milk to the baby, however the mini pill is safe to take.

Once you stop breast feeding you will resume normal periods again - around two weeks after (+/-).

Hope this helps

Reply to sue