Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2006/04/11

Menstrual Sanitary Aids

I am a 24year old married female. I have always experienced irritation from using sanitary towels and then switched onto soft fabric cover for sensitive skins. Still though I feel irritation on my skin and causes me to feel very itchy and a horrible burinig sensation. I can't use tampons as my periods are very painful and when I did try one on- I experienced alot of pain from using it. I also feel very uncomfortable using a tampon. Is there anything I can use to de-sensitize my skin or are there alternate menstrual aids I could use ? Also I find that my periods are rather smelly- is this nomal or do I have a problem that needs to be addressed. It woud be very embarrasing for me to mention it to a doctor, so I would be very greatful If u could assist me .

Other than what is on the market, I can't suggest anything else. there isn't a way of desensitising the skin. There is usually an 'old blood' smell with a period.

1
Posted by: sue | 2006/04/11

Hi Puleng

I dont think there is anything you can get to de-sensitise your skin, but shop around for sanitary towels that may offer less irritation, also make sure you choose ones that are not deodorised as these may irritate you even more.

Menstrual blood can smell if it is old blood coming out - just make sure you bath every day and stay clean and fresh.
Try smoothing talcum powder along your upper inner thighs, it helps you feel fresh.

Reply to sue