Question
Posted by: lily | 2007/07/30

Menstrual Migraine

I was diagnosed with Menstrual Migraine about 4yrs ago. I was put onto a trial medication but had to come off as my gynae put me on the injection due to a gynaecological problem. My migraines decreased. The beginning of this year I had a hysterectomy (Only the uteris was removed). I came off the injection and I am getting the migraines frequently again. Painkillers don't help at all. A few weeks ago I had a neck spasm (cervical myalgia). Have been going to pysio for treatment. Can this all be related? Could I still be having menstrual migraines? Or is it a different type of headache. It is effecting my life. I read the article on the headache clinic but I am not situated in JHB. Should I go back and see my Neurologist?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Lily,

Sorry, I seem to have missed your question.

The fact that only your uterus was removed, and not the ovaries means that you can still have hormone fluctuations, which can trigger migraines.

The fact that you had a neck spasm is almost certainly related, as muscle tension in the head and neck region is a regular finding in migraine, including menstrual migraine.

If it was a neurological problem, then the correct thing to do would be to go back to your neurologist, but if you have had a neurological examination and they were unable to find a neurological cause for your problem, then going back would be a waste of time.

Call me on 0825555763, and let me know where you are, and I may be able to steer you in the correct direction.