Question
Posted by: Sue-Ellen | 2004/10/31

Menstrual and Mid-Cycle Piles

I am occasionally troubled by piles (painful, purple swellings) and shooting rectal pains, as well as terrible pain in the vicinity of my ovaries. It is always much worse on waking up in the mornings.

I experience these symptoms in the run-up to my period and also in the middle of my cycle when I am ovulating.

Although I always experience ovulation pain, I never experience period pain or any other menstrual problems. I am sure that I don't have endometriosis, as my periods have always been very light and very easy. (I am in my late thirties).

I can't understand what is causing this problem I have with piles as I am not at all constipated. In fact, my stools are usually loose, and I have at least one, sometimes two or more bowel movements a day, especially in the run-up to my period, when I often experience "after-breakfast stomach runs".

Do you think it is possible that I have an ovarian cyst, or could it be a bowel problem? (My mother died of colon cancer).

I can't help you with the piles. Tha pain may be due to ovulation or periods, but you are right that it could be a bowel problem. A check-up with your doctor would be a good idea.