Question
Posted by: Dinx | 2008/01/20

Menopause woes

I am 52 years of age and had a hysterectomy +-12 years ago. I still have my ovaries.

I have experienced nagging menopause symptoms for a number of years - (depression, insomnia, irritability, lethargy, weigh gain around the middle)....... I was taking Estrofem tablets (10mg) which my GP prescribed, for about a year and a half.

I have since felt the need to replace these with a more "natural" form of hormone replacement and recently visited an Ayuvedic Dr. who prescribed "natural" e-triol (0.3%) : 50 ml and progesterone cream : 50 ml.
However, before I receive a repeat script, I wish to clarify if I should in fact be administering the progesterone cream seeing I still have my ovaries?

If you could render some advice regards the best "natural" form of HRT to help alleviate my symptoms, I will be most grateful.
Is it necessary for me to visit a gynaecologist for a check up even tho I have had a hysterectomy i.e. to check on the functioning of my ovaries or could I have a routine blood test to check out if they are functioning ok?

Kind Regards,

Dinx

The progesterone cream will not do any harm, but I don't think that it will do any good. You could try something like Femolene. These sometimes help for symptoms. You should still have gynae check-ups though not necessarily every year.