Question
Posted by: Ninon | 2005/06/20

Menopause with periods?

I am almost 49, and still have regular periods. I do not have hot flushes, but the following invaded my life over the past 6 months:
- aggression (seems to be worst on my 2nd day of 5-day periods, but otherwise it's always lurking in the corner) - sometimes I get such aggressive feelings, it scares me
- fatigue (even though I adapted my diet to low GI and got onto a fitness programme)
- weight increase (despite the above)
- constant hunger (even after a huge meal)
- tearfulness (even with nice things)
- loss of assertiveness (wants to cry when in conflict with colleagues)
- screaming/yelling at my kid (I was never the screaming type)

Is this menopausal symptoms or am I going mad?! Whatever the case, what can I do? I really would not like to go on medication if at all possible. I recently had a thorough gynae check-up (including mammogram), and everything seemed OK.

Even though you are having periods, you are probably perimenopausal and this could certainly explain the mood swings. You could try one of the alternative menopausal therapies which health shops stock.