Question
Posted by: Forty Plus | 2006/07/17

"menopause" + pregnancy

Hi Doctor

I am 43 years old, but only married about 5 years ago.

Since then, I am unable to fall pregnant.
I had some treatment (Clomid & AI with stimulation), but unsuccessful. Had it about 3 times from Nov 2004 to Oct 2005.
I also had irregular cycles during that time and was put on Provera.

By Feb 2006, I had no cycle again and went to see gynae (FS).
I was then told that I was going into "menopause".

Being very desperate at this point, I went the alternative route.
I went on a "fertility Program" and within 2 weeks got my period.
I had another 2 periods since (24 days apart each time).

I thus want to know, with this "reversal", what are my chances of falling pregnant.
My natural therapist wants me to try another AI now, but in comvbination with his "Fertility Program".

I know many in the medical profession are very sceptical and reluctant to work with them, but I have seen improvement.

Does your practice accomodate a professional relationship with alternative therapists?

Dear Forty Plus

Given the status, one would classify this as a perimenopausal situation. Furthermore, with adequate ovulation induction stimulation (high dose), it is possible, sometimes, to get more than one egg. However, it is the qulaity of the egg that is most important for fertility and in order to assess the egg quality, one would recommend IVF be done.
In an IUI program it is very difficult to assess egg quality and therefore one would not know what the fertility prospects hold for the future.