Posted by: Trace | 2008/10/14

Menopause and Road Running

Do you have any information on the effects menopause may have on a womans declining road running times as well as weight gain. In addition if HRT would correct this issue? Many thanks

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Trace, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with your answer but I have just returned from my London clinic.

As far as I am aware the decrease in both estrogen and testosterone will have a negative effect for runners. Most notable for a runner is the effect of estrogen and the reduction in bone mineralization and the obvious effect of testosterone and a reduction in muscle growth. HRT should have benefits for exercise but one may have to consider taking additional testosterone, but this will depend on one’s blood hormone levels. You will get a more detailed answer if you post this question to the Gynae Doc on the health24 expert panel.