Posted by: BT | 2008/08/19

Dear Doc, How would I know if I am going through menopause? My libido has gone down a lot. I recently consulted my gp about this and he did a hormone test and according to that my estrogen was slightly low. I am 41, have a 19year old daughter and a 4 year old son. I am still on the pill (ovral). No histerectomy, using no other hormones. my gp was of the opinion that I might be on the pill for no reason because I might not even be ovulating anymore. How would I know?
I actually never gave all this getting older and going through menopause much thought but it looks as if I have to start finding out about what I' ll be going through and how to kick manopause' s butt.

The only way to know if you are going through menopause is to stop the Pill and see if your cycle is regular or not. The decreased libido is more likely to be due to the Pill or psychological factors though, as the Pill prevents menopausal symptoms.