Question
Posted by: Crossroads | 2005/01/12

Menopause?

Hi Doc - I am a 50 year old woman - have always had light periods with a short cycle (every 18 days when I was younger) and had hormone deficiency when I was pregnant, having hormone injections up to the end of the first trimester, after losing my first baby. I have an under active thyroid and should be taking 100mg of eltroxin a day but admit that due to financial problems I dont always do this. I have not had a period now for 14 months and for the last three months have had terrible hot flushes. I thought this was all to do with the change of life, but then read somewhere that thyroid problems can cause the same symptoms. Could this be the under active thyroid, or a combination of that and menopause. I hope I have given you enough info for you to shed some light on this, as at the moment with the tight budget that I am on, unfortunately seeing a doctor will have to be reserved for really serious things. Many thanks.

Crossroads, it sounds like it might be due to a combination of the two. You should be able to get Eltroxin® from a state clinic for free, so maybe that’s where you should start. Hopefully that will be able to do the blood tests for thyroid functions and a menopausal screen too. Good luck.