Question
Posted by: Chloe | 2006/07/31

Menopausal / thyroid diet

Hi, I was wondering if you can give me any advice....I am 47 and had a hysterectomy when I was 26. My GP has just done tests on me and discovered that my hormone count is VERY low (36) and my thyroid as well (11). I have in recent years gained a lot of weight and no matter what diet I go onto, I just can't seem to loose the excess weight?! Can you give me any advice as to what to try now??

Dear Chloe
You don't mention if the dr has prescribed female hormones and thyroid hormone to relieve the low levels he measured? If not, then discuss this with him. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). If you are receiving hormone therapy and use this diet and exercise and after 4 months you have still not lost any weight then I would suggest that you also have you insulin levels tested to see if you are insulin resistant.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: Chloe | 2006/08/10

Hi DietDoc

Thanx for your advice.
My Dr. has put me onto Ortho-Est .625mg and Eltroxin.05mg.
I will have to do something about this excess weight of mine, as it is now really starting to worry me!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Cheers
Chloe

Reply to Chloe