Posted by: KB | 2008/06/19

menopausal at age 39??

I have the following symptoms:
1. Night sweats - I often have to change my clothing up to 3 times at night as I wake up drenched during the night. I make sure I go to bed wearing light clothing and sleep under a single lightish duvet.
I have reached a stage where I do not want to fall asleep because of the discomfort I feel waking up with my body and bedclothes soaked.
2. Weight gain. I have gained 6 kilos this year. I am active, do karate and fitness training regularly. I have however been feeling very tired lately and am struggling to maintain my fitness training program.
3. Depression....i feel severely depressed.
4. Skipped period
5. Lack of concentration

I am feeling very frightened and am thinking I should go see a doctor, however, I do not have a GP as I have been fit and healthy for many years and have not had a need for one.

Dear KB
It is rare but one can get premature menopause. Other causes of night sweats could be infections like TB or certain blood diseases. Please see a GP and ask him to check your FSH levels and examine you for possible infections. He may need to check your thyroid hormone too.