Posted by: Gill Hoy | 2010/03/22


My grandson has viral menigtisi - we as a family have been in close contact with him - is there any medication or vacination we can have so we are not infected

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Gill Hoy

If you are concerned that you might have contracted viral meningitis from your grandson, you will have to consult your doctor for a full examination. To prevent future insidence of viral meningitis, you can be innoculated for the mumps virus, as well as Haemophilus influenzae type B.

Unfortunately, there are no tablets, like antibiotics, that can be taken to prevent you from contracting a viral meningitis from your grandson. You can however, boost your immune system by taking Vitamin A, C, E and Selenium and Zinc tablets.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.