Question
Posted by: Sue | 2003/01/30

Meniers Disease/Syndrome

Hi Doc, I am currently on Serc & a diuretic for Meniers. Are there any other treatments I could try? I have tried alternative therapies over the last year, with no response. A friend in London recommended a McTimmony Chriropractic treatment, but they are not recognised in SA and therefore practitioners are not listed as such. I had no luck with the Chiropractic Association. I want to get off Serc as I want to conceive. To date I have found no evidence of Serc not being a problem in human pregnancy, only animal, which is not reassuring enough. I am 31 years old, female, with an excellent diet.

Sue, the problem is that we’re not exactly sure what the cause of Ménière’s syndrome is. Put simplistically, this disorder is caused by an increase in the pressure within the inner ear. As the pressure increases the stimulation of the hair cells in the cochlea causes tinnitus and those in the vestibular apparatus cause vertigo. If this pressure is sustained, the hair cell damage can lead to deafness. It predominantly affects young to middle-aged adults and the attacks (vertigo, nausea and vomiting) tends to come and go, but the hearing deteriorates steadily. It usually affects one ear, but it can affect both in 10-15% of cases. The vertigo is managed with “seasickness” medications and sedatives, and we attempt to treat the underlying disorder by salt and caffeine restriction, vasodilators and diuretics. In severe cases surgery can be attempted. The best would probably be to see an ENT specialist as well as a neurologist. They might also be able to tell you if new data with regards to the use of Serc® in pregnancy has been published lately. Good luck.

1
Posted by: acl | 2003/01/30

Dear Sue
So what was the problem pertaining to the animals in pregnancy?. I would be curious to know the reply from the doctor related to humans on serc as well. (My daughter is 24 yrs and been on serc for the past 4 years).

Reply to acl