Posted by: nicolette | 2010/11/15


hi there i am 38 female suffers from vertigo and tinnitus for almost 10 years now the gp always prescribe serc and mitil for the nausiness i went to a ent specialis last week did the balance tests etc(was awfull!!) and went for a hearing test it was confirmed i have meniere disease with hearing loss in the right ear but to my dissapointment (i thought it would mean a new start after the confirmation will get meds) the doc told me there is no cure i should cut caffeine and salt and said to me come and see me as soon as you get another attack

my problem is i almost constantly feel off balance and tired and sick feeling to my stomach

what can i do??we live in a kind of small town with gp`s and some other doctors

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Nicolette,
Meniere's Disease consists of the following symptom complex.
1. Spells of dizzyness, that may last for several hours. This usually starts with a feeling of fulness in the ear, so the patient almost knows when the next "attack" will occur.
2.Hearing loss, which may improve after the attck, but never to the level of normal hearing. The end result may be a completely dead ear, ie no hearing.
3. Severe nausea and vomiting.

The audiogram may confirm a hearing loss, but the idea is to link this to a spell of dizzyness and vomiting. The speech recognition threshold may deteriorate before a hearing loss is recorded. This means that you struggle to follow speech, but the pure tone hearing seems intact.
If the diagnosis is confirmed, as it sounds like in your case, your management options require the possible chronic use of Serc, and this may be applied for to your medical aid.( Obviously only if you benefit from the treatment. )
In cases where this does not control the symptoms, you should consider having Gentamycin injected into the middle ear. This is only done in cases that fail conservative management, and where the diagnosis is clear. This can only be performed by an ENT experienced in this tecnique, generally ENT's that super specialize in Otology are able to perform this. This is done against the risk if losing your hearing in that ear , but patients who have really suffered, feel a lot more able to cope after this. Restricting caffeine has limited resutls, but it is worth a try. Some patients may even benefit from restricting fluid intake, or using a diuretic (water tablett). Discuss this with your ENT.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.