Question
Posted by: money | 2004/01/19

Men that earn less than women

Gooday
What do I do? I earn alot more than my husband. I think it really bothers him. I deal with most of the accounts. He gets paid in wages weekly. He gives me the money to pay things. I know .."old school" but it has worked all the time..all of the sudden he doesnt like it ..he wants to work with his money himself ..but then he doesnt pay the things he must pay..all our accounts are in my name as I get a payslip
I never fight with him because his money is less than mine.

Dear m,
Let's see what our other readers have to say here, based on their own experience. Yes, it can be a touchy situation when one spouse, through sheer luck or sheer hard work or whatever the reason, happens to earn significantly more than the other. And it can be especially irritating to the male ego --- particularly when it shows itself in ways that his work-pals might pick up and embarrass him about.
I don't think there's really any substitute for discussing it properly between yourselves. Maybe you can share the responsibilities for paying for specific costs, and if he tends to forget his own duties in this regard, maybe arrange a weekly or fortnightly joint Money meeting to check, together, what's owing, what's paid, and to discuss minor financial issues or decisions.